Soarin’ Around The World
Great for Kids, Teens, Adults, All Ages
Open since May 2005. Ride film updated in June 2016.
Location: Future World, Epcot
Fly over the world in this breathtaking Walt Disney World ride.
Take to the skies in Soarin’, Epcot’s exhilarating and breathtaking flight simulation for the whole family. Guests board a unique seating device that lifts them up in the air and toward a giant, IMAX-like screen. While giant images of beautiful scenery from across the world are shown, the ride moves very gently, giving the sensation that you are in a hang glider. Soarin’ also includes pleasing smells that coincide with the images of the ride, like the scent of roses as you glide over the Taj Mahal. The effect is subtle, but really helps sell that you are flying over these locations. The ride has a relaxed feel, and guests experience the sensation of flight without getting shaken up like in more intense rides. The best way to describe Soarin’ is that it is a mild-thrill appropriate for all ages. Unless you have an intense fear of flight or motion sickness, this is a must ride.
Soarin’ takes you over these locations around the world:
- Matterhorn in Switzerland
- Isfjord, Greenland
- Sydney Harbour in Sydney, Australia
- Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria, Germany
- Kilimanjaro National Park and Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania
- The Great Wall in China
- The Great Pyramids in Egypt
- Taj Mahal in Uttar Pradesh, India
- Monument Valley, Utah, United States
- Lau Islands, Fiji
- Iguazu Falls, Argentina
- Eiffel Tower in Paris, France
- Epcot, Walt Disney World
The best view by far is the top row, center (loading bay B). On the bottom two rows, you will see the feet and legs of the guests above you in your peripheral vision. Also, as you get away from the center of the screen, you might be able to notice some distortion in the image. Both of these aren’t huge issues, but the best Soarin experience is top and center. Ask the cast member who sorts the guests into their rows if you could sit top row center. They will honor your request, and even if you have to wait until the next playing of the movie, it’s worth the extra wait.
Tips and Trivia
- This is an extremely popular ride (possibly the most popular at Epcot). Lines tend to be very long. Be sure to get a Fastpass+ reservation or get in line right when the park opens.
- Soarin is a Tier 1 Fastpass+ reservation for Epcot.
- This ride first opened in Disney California Adventure in Anaheim, CA. The two rides are almost exactly the same, with one exception: the finale for DCA’s Soarin’ Around the World flies over Disneyland Resort.
- The pilot in the pre-show video is Patrick Warburton, famous for his role on Seinfeld. He’s also a voice of one of the robots in the queue of Star Tours: The Adventures Continue.